Teambox allows you to receive emails from email@example.com and process them as tasks inside your project. You can post replies to these tasks that go back to the user, as well as post private comments. You can also reassign these tasks across your team, as you would with regular tasks.
How can I configure Helpdesk’s email to task?
You will need to set up a redirect from your email to a special address for your project:
- Open your project from the sidebar, and go to its Settings.
- Under the Helpdesk section you’ll find the special address. It’ll look like firstname.lastname@example.org. Take note of this address.
- If you send emails to this address, it will create an unassigned task in that project.
- Send a test email and verify it works.
- Now set up an email account to receive email like email@example.com, or the address you prefer.
- Open this email account and configure it to forward all email to the email address for the project.
- Instructions differ for each provider, but in Gmail you can do this with a filter for all email. Gmail will ask you to confirm the forwarding email, and send a verification email, which will create a task in Teambox. Follow the instructions in that email to finalize confirmation.
- Optionally, you can set some filters to redirect only some emails.
- Now any email you send to the address you configured will be processed as a Teambox task. Keep reading for more commands and options.
NOTE: Keep in mind that emails that go to your spam folder are not forwarded and so they do not create Teambox tasks.
When users send an email to your email, they will receive a confirmation email with their inquiry. Users will not be notified about private answers (default), but they will be notified about replies you choose to send (learn how below). Users can reply via email to post updates. Any new comment will reopen the task.
Assign tasks to a user by default
If you add “.username” to the address before the “@”, you can assign the incoming emails to a specific user.
For example, to assign tasks to @corrina, you’d forward your email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Replace project and user as needed.
Post private replies
When you post comments or update status for that task, external users will not receive any email notifications. This allows you to manage tasks in a clean way, as only your team will see these replies.
Reply to an external user from Teambox
If you want to send an email reply to the user, you must start your reply with ‘!!!’ (three exclamation marks).
The external user will receive an email reply with your comment. If he replies to that email, the response will be posted to the task on Teambox, reopening the task if it was previously resolved.
- The Helpdesk functionality is very flexible, so the best way to learn how to use it is by testing it.
- Try sending an email to your project from an email address that’s not associated to your project. Try replying privately and also responding to the user.
- Once you’re fluent with it, you’ll be able to manage your incoming email as a group with all the collaboration features of Teambox.